Cat (willowisp) wrote,

Catching Up

This morning a man came and knocked on the door. I invited him in to sit on the new couch, and we started discussing a product/service. It was rather strange, in retrospect. If someone were only half-listening they might have thought he was selling magazine subscriptions or jewelry or candles or something. "Yes, please upgrade to a cedar chest, oh and four of these please". Then I wrote out a check (Is out of state ok?) and almost handed him a gray bundle. First, though, I had to hug it and cry a bit. He was understanding and parted with the bundle when I was ready.

The gray towel has a story. In our NC apartment we didn't have a linen closet, so I left a stack of bath towels in the guest bathroom. Thena became very fond of sitting on it, to the point where it was a running joke with callicrates and me that I always had to wash the towel twice -- after a guest left, and then again before the next guest came, lest the arriving guest end up with a Foo-colored fur coat. It was only fitting that she be sent away in her favorite towel. I also went over to tell the apartment manager(s) about it. Toby said she'll remove Thena from the lease and gave her condolences. There's so much I have to do still -- cancel her owner alert and notify the microchip people, cancel her pet insurance, change all of my passwords which referred to her, change the answering machine message, and so on. I can't imagine doing this for a person, with so much more which needs to be done.

I called the NC Animal Protection Society today. It may seem cold-hearted, with the funeral-baked meats still warm and all that, but Andy and I had decided we'd see if Bianca still needed a home. They're closed on Wednesdays, but I left a message anyway in hopes that if they were planning on euthanizing Bianca, that they'd get the message first and hold off. A woman called at 18:00 or so and let me know that Bianca had been adopted. I'm actually glad, because it meant she hasn't been sitting in a small cage in a scary place for the whole time we've been in Albuquerque.

I had planned to get a lot done with Andy at Siggraph. Not more than I could've handled, mind, but a lot nonetheless. Now Tuesday and Wednesday are gone and I've only gotten a fraction of it done, and that at the expense of getting to bed before 06:30 tonight/Wednesday morning. I hope I can catch up some tomorrow, though even if I did manage by some miracle to accomplish it all, I don't think Andy will be very happy when he gets home. I hope at least that he's not too disappointed.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.