Cat (willowisp) wrote,

  • Music:
Today started off innocently enough, with kitty feeding and Andy going to meet Tanner for lunch. He brought along the Nerf gun I got him a few years ago, the rapid-fire one, so that Tanner could settle a few scores at work. I hope the stories are good.

Andy got home in time for an appointment I had in student health. Before the appointment proper we stopped by Bev's office and gave her amethyst earrings and necklace which I set. Bev was the one who inadvertanly discovered that I might be diabetic, and she snuck me in under the red tape to get me into Dr. Vimmerstedt's care sooner rather than later.

When we got home Andy had a pleasant surprise in his e-mail. His grandboss from SGI when he interned two summers ago chatted with him at Siggraph. She sent him e-mail reiterating that she would love to have him come back after he graduated -- she even has a clear idea of where she'd put him.

It's about time I work on the cut tag thing, and this is as good an opportunity as any.

A year ago today, I was on no medication whatsoever. I was also not having an expected monthly visit, nor had I for well over ten years. Andy was worried and offered to go with me to all appointments if I'd see a doctor. The diagnosis was PCOS, or poly-cystic ovary syndrome. Just to make it official, the doctor ordered some bloodwork.

There are some hallmarks of PCOS, both low and high levels of certain hormones and some ratios. Mine were all dead even. While this could just mean I'm abnormally high or low on various points and they'd need a series of tests, it doesn't explain why the ratios weren't skewed like they should have been. Anyway, she got very flustered with the results and said it was still PCOS, so she'd treat it as such. And she won't refer me to a specialist in PCOS (he's based at UNC), who might benefit from figuring out why my results are abnormal, or possibly figure out what it is if it isn't PCOS. Mutter.

Anyway, the side-effects of the meds were so severe when my cycle finally re-started that another doctor decided I needed to be on medication number two. This was good in that my mood has stabilized for most of the time, but every month I was still plunging fairly badly. The purpose of the visit today was to ask her once again to switch meds, which she did. She also reminded me that a certain uncomfortable procedure was due and asked if I wanted to get it out of the way. Although unpleasant, at least I was only thinking about it for a few minutes rather than fretting for the week or three that a follow-up appointment would have taken.

Andy got a surprise equal to, if not more unpleasant than, the nice one from SGI. He called his contact there and she called back a while later to tell him that none of the managers had positions open for someone with his qualifications. Shades of Ex Luna. I'm beginning to wonder if this economy means that a PhD and having written some of the research a company's products are based on aren't enough.

While Andy was out grilling dinner my mom called. Not only was the good news a false negative, but it was a gaping false negative. The cancer has spread so much that they can't even do surgery at this point. They're going to have to give him chemo in hopes that it'll kill enough of the cancer that surgery is a feasible option.

I'm not going to tell Andy about this right now -- he has enough to worry about.

Tonight's walk was six laps, an hour long, and (surprise surprise) hot. Aside from the moths and such and some rude people who took up the whole sidewalk even though they saw me walking toward them, I saw no interesting wildlife. I may stop writing about my walks if all I say is that nothing interesting happened.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.