One of the songs among their staples was a song written by filk artist Fred Small. The story behind it is worth telling, especially since the song is being featured on this list. From the CD insert for the live version of The Flirtations CD: Janet Peterson of Motherlode asked Fred to write it for her eight-year-old son after he came home from school one day and said, "Mom, it's getting hard to grow up and be a man these days; you can't hug your friends anymore. You have to slug 'em and say 'son of a bitch'."
There are several versions of Fred Small's "Everything Possible" floating around. They include a version by Motherlode, whose member requested the song, as well as one by Mr. Small himself. Andy and I have listened to all of the versions we can get our hands on. Our favorite one is that performed by The Flirtations, but I would be happy if any of the versions got radio airtime. Every child should be so lucky as to have this lullaby sung to them, and any number of adults would benefit from it as well.
- day 01 – your favorite song: "Shades of Gray" as performed by The Monkees.
- day 02 – your least favorite song: "(She Was A) Hotel Detective" by TMBG.
- day 03 - a song that makes you happy: Beethoven's 6th, 1st movement.
- day 04 - a song that makes you sad: "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton.
- day 05 - a song that reminds you of someone: "Trouble Me" by 10,000 Maniacs. (Ray Hall)
- day 07 - a song that reminds you of a certain event: "The Throne Room" by John Williams. (Our wedding recessional)
- day 06 - a song that reminds you of somewhere: "Blackstairs" by Clannad. (My uncle's house)
- day 08 - a song that you know all the words to: "Irony" by Leah Zicari.
- day 09 - a song that you can dance to: "Caribbean Blue" by Enya.
- day 10 - a song that makes you fall asleep: "Music of the Night" by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
- day 11 - a song from your favorite band: "Perfect Time" by Maire (Moya) Brennan.
- day 12 - a song from a band you hate: "Tequila" by The Ventures.
- day 13 - a song that is a guilty pleasure: "Trigger Happy" by "Weird Al" Yankovic.
- day 14 - a song that no one would expect you to love: "The Final Countdown" by Europe.
- day 15 - a song that describes you: "Eyes of Mercy" by October Project.
- day 16 - a song that you used to love but now hate: "Jerusalem" as performed by Anuna.
- day 17 - a song that you hear often on the radio: "When She Cries" by Restless Heart
- day 18 - a song that you wish you heard on the radio: "Everything Possible" by Fred Small, with special note to the version as performed by The Flirtations.